How to Order a Piece of Custom Horsehair Jewelry
Horsehair pieces are made by me by hand in Los Gatos, CA.
Please allow for 6 to 10 weeks to complete your order. Jewelry with specially ordered hardware may take longer.
You will receive a confirmation email when I receive the hair. If you don't receive a confirmation, please contact me to make sure I have received your horse's hair.
Orders are completed in the order the hair is received.
The instructions for collecting hair, measuring for a bracelet, and other questions are below. If you have any questions, please contact me.
If you have a special occasion or rush on the order, please call 1-510-847-4691 or message me through this website. Please note the deadline date in the comment section of your order and in your package when you ship the hair.
Collect your horse's hair. See below for instructions.
Put secured hair in a baggie with your horse's name, your name, and order number.
Send via Priority Mail or with tracking, to:
Lisa Dahlen Designs
PO Box 321167
Los Gatos, CA 95032
Ordering Horsehair Jewelry FAQ
How do I collect my horse's hair?
- Carefully grasp the longest hairs (or those at least 20 inches long) at the very tip of the tail bone and whisking away the shorter hairs.
- Clip small sections of hair, working close to the tail bone.
- Make sure the hair is long enough. 20" may sound like a lot but it is not. I need more than double the length of the completed bracelet.
- If the hair isn't long enough, you can message me and we can come up with a solution.
- I ask for hair closest to the tail bone because it is the healthiest hair and makes the best, most durable braids.
- Please don't send banged hair or hair cut randomly from the exterior of the tail. This hair is usually not long enough and makes an inferior braid.
- For a 4-5mm size bracelet I need about 200 hairs. This is about the diameter of a pencil or drinking straw.
- For a small braid used in a pendant or similar piece, I need around 100 hairs. This is about the diameter of a cocktail straw or toothpick.
- Make sure when you measure the diameter of the hair, you measure at least 1/2 way down the hair. The hair must be long enough for me to work with.
- Gather the hair together and secure with a rubber band (a braiding band is good) or a soft string.
- Loosely loop the hair, do not knot the hair, and put the hair in a zip lock bag with a label including your name, the name of the horse, and order number.
- I will not process hair that is tangled, matted, or excessively dirty.
- Hair that is collected from the 'field' or stall and/or not neatly secured with a band will be charged a minimum $45.00 for extra processing.
- I always wash the hair, no matter how clean it appears to be. Braiding with absolutely clean hair is critical to the quality of your piece of jewelry.
- If you wash the hair, please do not add any conditioners. The hair must be absolutely dry before putting it into the baggie or it will mold and be unusable.
- All unused hair will be returned with your completed piece of jewelry.
- Please contact me if you have any questions.
How do I send the hair?
What if I only have a little bit of hair?
What if I only have mane hair?
What do you do with the leftover hair?
Can I send you an entire tail?
How do I measure for a bracelet?